Monday, June 4, 2012

April 29; The night continues…

Day 84
2:00 A.M.
We left the Chinese restaurant and headed to McDonald so TanG could get her chicken nuggets.
I walked in with a swoosh of energy but the sleeping people were a total vibe kill. Bummer, how are we supposed to stay awake for the remaining 4 hours… Anyway, when TanG got her nuggets. she was presented with two magical sauces: sweet chili AND sweet and sour. 
Sweet chili! Toronto take notes
I decided to use the tacky jewels I purchased earlier in the night to decorate my phone.
disgusting. but it'll stay on until it comes off..
5:00 A.M.
3 hours and some naps in between later, we migrated to another McDs. The area around the train station had about 3 KFCs and 4 McDonalds. I'm still trying to figure out the logic in that…

6:00 A.M.
Adamant on not missing our 7:20 bus ride home, we walked to the bus station to get our damn bus. With great success, we got on the right buses and successfully reached the hostel.
city bus
The day begins
After that adventure, we decided to just chill at the hostel with a game of pool and food.

Kaifeng Youth Hostel: mini review (pictures)
  •           The chef is amazing – from what I could tell, it’s a one man team in a tiny kitchen -- The kitchen is the size of like one and a half double beds.
  •          Prices for food are reasonable.
  •          The staff is super friendly. Especially Shan Shan.
  •          Amenities: wi-fi, computers, pool table, laundry machine. I could get facebook on my phone, so that’s a huge bonus.
  •          Neighbouring area: convenient store a few stores down, gorgeous view of the lake that lights up in the night against the city, night market is close by, and bus stops are really close as well.
  •          The not so good: Bathroom. The light wasn’t working for 2 days and it was incredibly tiny for a 6 dorm room. It was literally the size of a single bed... actually that's a tiny washroom even for a single room...
  •      Recommended: highly recommended!
  •          45 RMB a night (with ISIC discount)
Before we knew it, we left Kaifeng and arrived in Luoyang, where we were one step closer to Beijing.
We reached the hostel with ease and as the girls freshened up, I explored the building. There really was nothing compared to our previous hostel disappointingly.
Luoyang Youth Hostel mini review:
  • meeh
  • Staff weren’t exactly friendly nor helpful.
  • Favorite part: there was real showering space.
  • Overall, I much prefer our previous Luoyang hostel over this one
  • 80 RMB for a 8 dorm room (holiday season pricing)
 
We went for Chinese food for the first time during this trip. As I walked through the doors, the waiter greeted me with a "konnichiwa" and that was the first time someone thought I was Japanese. The lady who was taking our order helped correct my Chinese food pronunciation in the nicest way and I felt like that was the first time someone actually understood me. She understood me and that surprised me because no one in Beijing does… I'd love to take this restaurant back to Beijing...
Tanjin and her naturally curled hair
All that food for 25 RMB (~3 CND)

After stuffing ourselves with food, we headed back early to prep for tomorrow's journey back home. Tomorrow’s a brand new day and I hope something will finally go our way.

1 comment: